Rainforest Foundation Norway is seeking a dynamic and experienced director for our unique rainforest protection program in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
To protect the Congo basin rainforest and the rights of local communities and Indigenous people, Rainforest Foundation Norway (RFN) has established an ambitious program for rights-based rainforest protection in DRC. We are now seeking a dynamic and experienced person to lead this work from Kinshasa. Our country office consists of 12 dedicated and motivated employees, with a high degree of competence within the field of human rights, policy and development work.
Rainforest Foundation Norway has been working in Democratic Republic of Congo since 2003. We have contributed to building an environmentally oriented civil society, aiming to ensure that local communities and their organizations can participate in political processes concerning their land and their future. Together with other civil society organizations we have made significant progress within the political and legal frameworks that govern our work.
As Country director you will be responsible for strategically developing the rainforest protection program in order to obtain maximum results, and represent RFN towards stakeholders, government authorities, donors and partners. Both fundraising and advocacy work is central to this position. Applicants need to have excellent skills in building trust, relations, engagement, and networks.
The Country director is responsible for the management of RFN’s office in DRC, including the development of human resources, finance steering, risk assessments and security. Management experience within these areas is highly valued.
We are seeking a leader with the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated strategic leadership experience in the context of development aid
- Overall experience in managing and working with administration, financial management and HR
- Strong experience in project management, preferably from an NGO perspective
- Relevant higher university degree
- Excellent written and verbal skills in French and English, understanding Norwegian is an asset.
- Contextual knowledge of DRC or the Congo Basin region is an advantage
- Excellent networking skills and experience in maintaining donor and key stakeholder relationships in a complex and international environment.
- Ability to achieve effective collaboration, and inspire and unify team members across different fields of skills and competences
- Excellent communication skills, high understanding of roles and a modern leadership style
- You act on your own initiative, make things happen and have a high degree of organizational understanding.
- Open minded, curious, and dedicated.
- Exciting and meaningful tasks in a dynamic and internationally oriented environment
- A pleasant and inclusive work environment with talented and dedicated colleagues
- Good pension and insurance schemes and flexible working hours
- Offices in central Kinshasa
- Salary in line with the Rainforest Foundation's salary plan
The position is a part of the International Department at the Rainforest Foundation Norway and is a two-year engagement with a possibility for extension.
For questions related to the position, please contact Anna Bjørndal (email@example.com) or Kevin Sasia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application deadline: 29.05.22
Workplace: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo